We are pleased to announce the Third International Postgraduate Conference on Language and Cognition (ELC3), to be held at the University of Santiago de Compostela...
The ELC (English Linguistics Circle) is a research network involving five research groups based at the Universities of Santiago de Compostela and Vigo, in Galicia (Northwestern Spain):
- Variation, Linguistic Change and Grammaticalization (VLCG, Faculty of Philology, University of Santiago de Compostela). Director: Teresa Fanego
- Spoken English Research Team at the University of Santiago de Compostela (SPERTUS, Faculty of Philology, University of Santiago de Compostela). Director: Ignacio Palacios Martínez
- Cognitive Processes and Behaviour (PCC, Faculty of Psychology, University of Santiago de Compostela). Director: Isabel Fraga
- Language Variation and Textual Categorisation (LVTC, Faculty of Philology and Translation, University of Vigo). Director: Javier Pérez Guerra
- Methods and Materials for the Teaching and Acquisition of Foreign Languages (MMTAFL, Faculty of Philology and Translation, University of Vigo). Directors: Marta Dahlgren Thorsell and Rosa Alonso Alonso
We all share an empirical, cognitive-functional outlook on the study of language and communication, with a special emphasis on fields such as morphosyntactic variation, language change and historical linguistics, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, discourse analysis and pragmatics, lexicology and semantics, contrastive and corpus linguistics, and linguistics applied to the teaching and acquisition of first and second languages.
The ELC is generously funded by the Autonomous Government of Galicia (Directorate General for Scientific and Technological Promotion) through the following research grants:
- 2006/14-0, for the period 20/12/2006-19/12/2008 (73,000 €)
- 2008/047, for the period 01/01/2008-31/12/2010 (150,000 €)
- CN2011/011, for the period 01/01/2011-31/12/2012 (120,000 €)